NKOTB’s Jordan Knight taking it step-by-step

NKOTB’s Knight taking it step-by-step

 
By JOE LEARY, TEAM 1040
Jordan Knight is embarking on a new solo project, while reuniting with his fellow New Kids on the Block band mates alongside The Backstreet Boys for a series of dates that brings them to Rogers Arena July 9-10.
Joe Leary spent 24 Seconds with the former teen idol.
24: Has Canada been good to you both as a solo artist and with NKOTB?
JK: Canada has been good to me my entire life. My parents are Canadian and I’m a dual citizen. So I’ve been coming up to Canada my entire life. I used to always come up in the summer to visit my grandparents and my cousins and uncles and aunts. Then, when the New Kids came along, we were a big hit in Canada and still to this day. Our reunion tour kicked off in Toronto and we’ve toured extensively up here through the years. We’re looking forward to getting back to Vancouver, which is probably one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been.
24: How are people responding to your new single “Let’s go Higher.”
JK: The initial response has been tremendous. It’s an infectious song and not very hard to sell. When I go onstage, or I’m out there promoting it, I can relax and just let the song speak for itself. It does all the work for me basically. People just want to hear it. It makes people feel good.
24: How have you evolved as an artist over the years?
JK: I feel I’m constantly getting better and that’s one of the reasons why I’m naming my album, Unfinished. I always feel your artistry and your life, and even the relationships in your life, are always unfinished and always growing. You can always learn new things and mature more.
24: How are you different in 2011 than you were in the 1980s?
JK: I listen to people more. Back in the day, I didn’t listen much and if I didn’t get my way, maybe I wouldn’t respond well. Now, I really like to hear what other people think and hear their opinions. I guess you have to have a certain sense of humility to do that. That’s probably one of the ways that I’ve evolved.
24: Were you surprised your reunion tour dates have become so popular?
JK: We set it up so that we couldn’t really fail, so there were hopes that that would happen. We set up 10 shows for our hardcore fans and because we hadn’t been out there for 15 years, we just wanted to have some fun basically. We put 10 shows on sale and they blew out so quickly we decided to do a whole arena tour. From there, it went to a spring tour. From there, it went to a summer tour and now we’re having this tour with the Backstreet Boys. I didn’t think it would keep going like this.
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Entertainment/music/2011/03/31/17831271.html

Comments