Friday, July 9, 2010

Which island can hold Barenaked Ladies, NKOTB and Matt Wells at one time?

Which island can hold Barenaked Ladies, NKOTB and Matt Wells at one time?

barbados31
Let me tell you a little something about Barbados - it just might be the 2nd most beautiful island I have ever set foot on (behind my home land of Newfoundland and Labrador). The only problem with me visiting however happens to stem from the very fact that I am from Newfoundland. My pale, white complexion is no match for the Hulk Hogan strength of the Bajan sun. By day one the sunscreen had melted away and the entire week you will notice my face of red and legs of white …..but I owned it, so on with the TV magic avec New Kids on the Block and Barenaked Ladies (nakedly sad to announce not actual naked ladies, but musically happy to announce it is actually the band).
barbados21
The Highlights
We got to know the island with the help of an excellent tour guide and musician who calls himself Jaicko. He is a household name in Barbados and is working on having that same musical awareness in the rest of the world; he’s collaborated with Snoop Dog and takes us on an island safari. What you get to see is the beautiful island. What you don’t really get to see is how treacherous the drive was. It felt like Apocalypse Now meets the horrible road conditions on Dufferin Street in my Toronto neighborhood. But that is just the perfect beauty of untapped and unindustrialized land in Barbados. We also check out the most expensive villa in Barbados, which for about $50 grand a week could be your vacation home. In the mean time it is the vacation home for Simon Cowell, Elton John and Rod Stewart. While camera guy superstar Dave and queen bee producer Claudette got the shots of the place, I sat in the private screening room and watched Live and Let Die for two reasons. One, it was classic James Bond in a private screening room deep in the most expensive private villa in Barbados and two, I figured Rod Stewart probably sang “Da Ya think I’m sexy” to some hot island goddess there at least once so ya know…one degree of separation.
barbados4
So, I mentioned your boyfriends in NKOTB and yes, I was reunited with my arch interview nemesis Donnie Wahlberg. But it was a lovely trip down New Kids memory lane 150 feet under the Caribbean Sea with those fellas. Although I was not charmed quite as much as all the 35-40 year old contest winners who were there to watch their New Kids all grown up and telling them they’ll be loving them forever….it was certainly an experience to be trapped in a Submarine sharing sea sickness and I must say, a good time with your boyfriends from the block. I think Donnie and I are good now…..Joey was an admirable referee.
barbados1
BNL’s “Gordon” is still one of my favorite albums. I usually skip through “Grade 9” and “If I had a Million Dollars”, but I stand by loving this record since the first day I heard it back in 1992. I’ve had the good fortune of interviewing most of the bands I grew up listening to, but BNL was the exception. I had interviewed them a few times, but it was always for something very specific like an event or fundraiser, so it was never a chat about their music. This time I more than made up for it when I chatted with Ed and Tyler about everything from Steven Page leaving, Ed almost knocking out Scott Weiland and how much Metallica fans hate the BNL. Oh yeah…there might also have been a jet-ski accident that may or may not have been my fault. I blame it on the heat of the Caribbean sun or the heat of the competition…I can’t remember which one.
barbados5
What else can I tell you…my face started to peel on day four which turned me into a disgusting mess for my interview with Meatloaf upon our return to Toronto and I will never be able to play “this little piggy went to market” with my daughter without thinking about the time I went to Barbados and ate Puddin and Souse (random parts of a pig), on camera, for you. I suffer for my art.
Enjoy the The Daily Fix in Barbados,
=matt
Catch The Daily Fix in Barbados everyday at 7pm ET from July 12 - July 16 only on MuchMoreMusic!



Barbados Matt
http://www.muchmore.ca/uncategorized/which-island-can-hold-barenaked-ladies-nkotb-and-matt-wells-at-one-time/

No comments:

Post a Comment