Blue Bloods filming

Source: http://ny-odyssey.livejournal.com/101938.html#cutid1  
 

 Blue Bloods filming

Yes, it's the time again! Time....to stalk some sets for fall television! :D
And, what's this?!? Another cop show based in New York? Let me think about this? Yes, I think I'd like to stalk that! Hee!! I heard that a new show called Blue Bloods was going to be filming not too far from my apartment today. What's more, Tom Selleck is in Blue Bloods! Well, the possibility of seeing Tom Selleck in person had me putting on my walking shoes and headed out to another set.

In the end, Tom Selleck wasn't there. So sad. However, the (I would guess) star of the show, Donnie Wahlberg *was* there and the scene they were filming was pretty cool, involving lots of extras in swat and riot and bomb squad gear. So that was fun. :)

So, confession time. I guess I really didn't know who Donnie Wahlberg was, or at least what he really looked like, or at least didn't associate the name with the face. But when I saw him, almost walking right by him when I first got to the set, my only thought was, "Hey! It's Rizzoli's boss!!" (from Rizzoli & Isles, another new TV show I've been watching). It was only after some consultation with IMDB.com that I put two and two together and felt a little lame for my lack of pop culture knowledge. But, who cares? I was loving just seeing "Rizzoli's boss", lol. In fact, this was one of the first pictures I got -- he was off to film a shot and, oops, forgot to put on his jacket! It was HOT out and I think everyone was getting rid of as many layers as they could whenever they could!


Rizzoli's Boss (lol) aka Donnie Wahlberg aka Danny Reagan (his character's name on the show)

Okay, so let's get this show on the road. Filming. And what do I like to take pictures of at filming??? Well, the no parking signs and, even better, the CHAIRS!!!





ChairBacks

With that out of the way, heh, let's get to filming. Now, I'll be anxious to see what this looks like on TV because, maybe it was just me but the shots seemed realllly looooooong. The scene started with Wahlberg's character dragging someone across Washington Square Park, then they stop at the arch, have a long argument/conversation, then Wahlberg takes off towards a car where he proceeds to have another conversation with someone else. And all this seems to be done in one shot. One looooong shot, as I said. I saw them film it, essentially from two different angles. The first was behind Wahlberg as he dragged his witness/whatever around. Then again, as the cameras reset near the car. AND, it looked like it was all filmed with two cameras. Again, very interested to see this on TV. Here are a couple shots from the shoot.

Part of his long conversation at the arch (notice the two cameras, one pointing away from where I am, one pointing sort of towards where I am)


Part of his long conversation at the car (again, notice the two cameras).

More behind the scenes stuff, because that's always fun and entertaining. And what was also very cool about this set is that it was spread out pretty far and all the background stuff was also spread out pretty far, making it easy to just sort of wander around in the behind the scenes stuff. And since there weren't tooooo many gawker stalkers about, they pretty much let us wander freely as long as we stayed out of the way and out of the picture. Fun!!

Here is the view of the sound guy (I'm guessing), with the car they were filming in the background. What I don't get was why they made the sound guy sit out here. The monitors were off somewhere else underneath a tent (and therefore in the shade)! I wonder what the sound guy did to get kicked out of the tent! LOL

What, exactly, is a "Man Tent"? No, really, what is it?!?


As I said before, there were a LOT of extras wearing swat and riot gear (poor guys looked like they were burning up. Particularly this poor bomb squad guy just hanging out between takes.

And, LOL, a bunch of then extras taking a break between breaks.


Now, it was fun to watch them film this scene because at one side of the street was the car where Wahlberg was talking and sometimes yelling. And then approaching from down the street were emergency lighted vehicles and the riot police, shields up and weapons drawn. And up one block, the real NYPD kept traffic at bay while they were rolling. All of which gave rise to the following two pictures.

How funny is that kid in the background looking all O-M-G!!! He completely looks like he thinks what ever is going down is real. And I also love the snarl of traffic one block up waiting to be let through. Love it!!


And here, Wahlberg waits while they re-set all those emergency vehicles and extras between takes. And looks like he's waiting not so patiently (actually, I’m totally just projecting my own desire for them to hurry it up, lol).
All in all, a good time was had by all. Or, at least by me. :D I'll check this show out when it airs this fall on CBS (as I heard several production assistances say numerous times to those who asked). And to make up for the ‘not so patient' comment above, how about I leave on one of Donnie Wahlberg laughing (heartily) at something between takes. Because this pictures makes me laugh just looking at it. :)

And that, was my first visit to the Blue Bloods set. It remains to be seen if it is the last...

Comments

Popular Posts