Donnie Wahlberg Talks about His New Series Blue Bloods on CBS

Donnie Wahlberg in Blue Bloods - Photo Courtesy Heather Wines/CBS
Donnie Wahlberg in Blue Bloods - Photo Courtesy Heather Wines/CBS

Sep 6, 2010

FrancineBrokaw

There were many aspects of the new series Blue Bloods that caught Wahlberg’s attention.

“When I read the script, I was attracted to, obviously, the family element of it. It was different, and there was good balance. Tom [Selleck] said that it's an ensemble. But the interesting thing and … I think everyone's, probably, favorite scene in the pilot episode is the dinner scene. And I think it's an unusual thing.”

Part Police Drama and Part Family Drama

The show is part police drama and part family drama. It revolves around the Reagan family. Chief Frank Reagan (Selleck) is the Police Commissioner of New York City, a position that was earlier held by his father, played by Len Cariou. Wahlberg plays one of Frank Reagan’s sons, Detective Danny Reagan. Will Estes plays another son, a rookie cop, and Bridget Moynahan plays their prosecuting attorney sister. The family dynamics in the story make this a unique cop show. Part of the storylines will revolve around the police aspect and part revolves around the family and how they interact and how their professional duties often come into play in the family.

“I don't know if it was by design, but that dinner scene almost serves as that. It's really a place where the work and the procedural stuff comes into the character stuff directly. And you see how everyone is connected. … So all the characters ultimately are intertwined somehow, and so it makes it much easier. If one (family member) was a baseball player and one was a fireman and one was a doctor, it would be probably difficult to follow all the storylines. But we all work in the same thing. We're all police or work within the law to uphold the law.”
This aspect makes Blue Bloods a unique series.

Wahlberg Co-Stars with Tom Selleck

Wahlberg is excited to be in the ensemble along with Tom Selleck, whom he admires. As I watched him talk about his co-star, he showed genuine admiration for Selleck.

"It's fun playing with Tom, because in character I get to sort of walk this line and my dad is a very powerful man, and it's always [a] gray [area], how far I can go with it. But when I look at Tom, it also reminds me of my [own] dad. At the dinner table, I could always take it to a certain point before my dad would whack me in the side of the head, and Tom has that [same look about him]. I'm always worried that I'm going to improvise one too many lines and Tom's going to, in character, say, ‘Knock it off, son,’ and off camera he's going to go, ‘All right, Wahlberg, settle down.’"

SOURCE: http://www.suite101.com/content/donnie-wahlberg-talks-about-his-new-series--blue-bloods-on-cbs-a274885

Comments

Popular Posts