Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fans remember their teen crushes

Fans remember their teen crushes

Published 12:03 a.m., Thursday, June 23, 2011

From weekly fan club meetings to afternoons spent learning choreography from the latest videos, former boy band loyalists remain true to their crushes years after the posters came down from their bedroom walls. We asked some local boy band fans about their favorite memories, and here's some of what they had to say:

Sylvia Carrizales, 32: “The New Kids on the Block Hangin' Tough tour was my first concert experience. I was 10 or 11 years old so I attended with friends and our moms. I just remember thinking that every time Joe or Jordan looked out into the audience in our general direction that they were somehow looking and singing directly to me ... it took me a (long) while to part with some of my New Kids memorabilia, including the concert program from that day. I still have a New Kids' trading card, however. I had to keep something!”

Nora Frost, 30: “I still get goose bumps when I hear Christopher Cross' ‘Sailing,' which *NSYNC covered on their self-titled album, and (I still) tear up when I hear ‘Yo Te Voy A Amar' (‘This I Promise You'). I think that's why I liked *NSYNC so much. They were the bizarro Menudo 20 years too late. I fell for them in Spanish and they did not disappoint ... My friends and I performed choreography to *NSYNC's ‘Bye Bye Bye' at our senior party thanks to Darrin's Dance Grooves.”

Missy Schultze, 27: “My sister and I had all the T-shirts, posters, knew all the words to all the songs. New Kids on the Block was the band we were really into ...We had all the dolls ... I remember the one of Jordan — we thought he was the cutest. It had a rat tail and a red and white outfit ... We grew up in the whole *NSYNC/Backstreet Boys era, so every time they were in town we'd go see them ... When we found out (NKOTB and Backstreet Boys) were coming to town, we knew we had to go see them. I guess it never really goes away.”


Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sacultura/conexion/article/Fans-remember-their-teen-crushes-1436393.php#ixzz1QLvpQX3a

No comments:

Post a Comment