Thursday, May 10, 2012

GALA Magazine's interview with Jordan Knight


 Gala.de editor Ines Weissbach at the meeting with Jordan Knight. (Photo: © Gala)
..... In the late 1980s he was the heartthrob par excellence. Since then, not much seems to have changed, or is it?

Jordan, 20 years ago were the "New Kids On The Block" the biggest boyband in the world. What has happened since then, in your view?

I became a man (laughs). I got married, had two children and now I'm back with my old friends from the "New Kids On The Block".

What is more satisfying: the cries of a baby or hear of 20 000 girls, now there are even women?
I would say 20 000 women. Although, it depends: Sometimes you rob the cry of a newborn to sleep. (Thinks) If you had a newborn smile said, I would choose that. But this way: I would rather hear the screech of a fan than a baby.
"New Kids On The Block" have disbanded in 1994, you have continued as a solo artist, released four solo albums now. Could you have imagined at that time a career without music? 
Of course, just what kind of career I do not know. I could very well be able to live without the whole entertainment business. I could sit down, for example, simply to rest.
Then why did you still continue to make music?
Because I enjoy it. When I ask young artist, I say: If you really want to be in the music business, you have to love music.

And the pop music that make you a solo singer, it's exactly your thing, or maybe you hear privately something completely different?
No, I'm just enjoying the music, of which I am also a fan of pop, R & B and Top40-direction. So I do this kind of music not only because it is commercially more successful than others.

Speaking of commercial: Do you have or Buy CDs actually?
No, I do not. Frankly, I'll buy no more music, either on CD or digitally. I used to just put on my headphones and listened to music. I'm not doing more and sometimes I ask myself whether I'm just too old to become. Now life is so hectic, so I really just hear what's on radio. And I also wonder why CDs and download still selling so well.

But that's positive for you as an artist. Sell ​​yourself a lot of CDs?
Yes, my new album "Unfinished" has sold in the U.S. very well. But if you are interested in one of my songs, you can actually just go to Youtube and listen to you this.
You were just on tour with a solo album in the U.S. and now you are back with eight other men on the stage that you have to jostle for the attention of the fans. What is more fun?
A solo tour is harder. I have no great luxury for traveling, like bus with "NKOTB". The audience is smaller. There are even wonderful audience for my solo concerts, but of course I don't play in any arena. It has also made a lot of fun anyway. It was great go alone on stage, I had the feeling of having accomplished something. I hope I can play the same show in Germany and throughout Europe.

Are you disappointed as a solo artist not to have as much success as "NKOTB"?
Of course we all want success. But for me it's not a disappointment not to play in big arenas. Yes I have and love both. And since I do not compete with other musicians, I do it solo and certainly not with the "New Kids On The Block". Because "NKOTB" are five types, with five different personalities and talents. And these five types together such a great attraction that it is really difficult to have claimed to be against them. I like to compete against myself. If I am better than yesterday, this is a great achievement for me. It gives me self-esteem and makes me proud. Thus would "Unfinished" a better album than your previous solo albums ... True, it is.
Why? I think I have matured and can be heard. I was able to release this album better, my confidence and my creativity. And besides, I'm just a singer who become better.

What time and again, are the lyrics about love and "Girls" as in "NKOTB". Is the girl, which you sing your wife?
Let me look. (Jordan Knight picks it up the cd and going again through all the tracks. Since the album in America was published in the previous year had forgiven him, that he can not remember exactly at the track list), some are truly from my wife .
Which ones? I can not say in a rush for sure.
Is that too personal? No, but if you write music, it's a lot of imagination, some things are stories from real life and sometimes there are stories from the past. When you sing solo stuff, it is of course on a more personal level than in the group. "Rock Star" is definitely a song about the fans. "O-Face" is about my wife, but has been inspired by the fans. "Kiss It Away" is about a past relationship.

You have been married for eight years and a father. Does your  12 years old son really think it's cool  what his dad does for a living?
Yes, still. I think once he is 13 he thinks it's uncool. (Laughs) No, that was fun. He has even sung just for a play at his school and wanted me to give him some tips. He admires and respects what I do.

And what Jordan Knights son admired him, is also in Hamburg before 8000 fans - mostly women - a big spectacle. "New Kids On The Block" and "Backstreet Boys" stand up on the show opener and burst into song at the end always turns on the stage....
Ines Weissbach
 SOURCE: http://www.gala.de/stars/interview/181789/Jordan-Knight-Ich-haette-mich-zur-Ruhe-setzen-koennen.html?p=2


No comments:

Post a Comment