Monday, May 21, 2012

TAKE 40: REVIEW - New Kids On The Block and The Backstreet Boys, Melbourne, May 19 2012

 REVIEW - New Kids On The Block and The Backstreet Boys, Melbourne, May 19 2012
20 mayo 2012
Last night, I stepped back in time. To a time when girls wore scrunchies, Facebook didn't exist, and boy bands in matching outfits reigned supreme.

It was a time before Justin Bieber, before Lady Gaga, and even before One Direction.

That's right; I'm talking about the NKOTBSB concert at Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne. A wonderful pairing of two of the biggest boy bands of all time -- New Kids On The Block and The Backstreet Boys.

In the eighties and nineties, these guys elicited so many screams and crazy fans that it would make Harry Styles' hair go straight.

For those who are too young to remember, here's a bit of history.

New Kids On The Block
Debuted in 1986
Members: Donnie Wahlberg, Danny Wood, Joey McIntyre, Jonathan Knight, Jordan Knight
Hit the big time in 1988 when their song 'You Got It (The Right Stuff) went number 1 worldwide
More hits followed including 'I'll Be Loving You (Forever)', 'Hangin' Tough', 'Cover Girl' and 'Step By Step'.

Backstreet Boys
Debuted in 1995
Members: Nick Carter, Howie Dorough, AJ McLean, Brian Littrell, Kevin Richardson
Biggest hits include 'Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)', 'As Long As You Love Me', 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)', and 'I Want It That Way',

In 2010 the Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block joined forces to become the ultimate man boy band: NKOTBSB.

As a child of the eighties and a teenager of the nineties, naturally I was super excited to be going to this concert. I'd been listening to all my old Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block albums in the lead up and I was ready to have a fantastic time.

NKOTBSB opened the show with what I thought was an odd choice as I'd expected them to come out strong with something instantly recognisable, so a slight disappointment to start off with that was later rectified by boy band awesomeness.

But what we got instead was the music from the Coldplay song 'Viva La Vida' with a medley of the BSB track 'The One' and NKOTB's Ne-Yo duet, 'Single'.

Again with more newer material, New Kids performed 'Summertime' and at this stage I was desperate for the classics... when was I going to hear 'Step By Step'?!

But to my relief I was not disappointed. The performances that followed from both bands were fantastic and just as good as if it were still the 90s.

I appreciated the efforts to bring the old days back, with the matching white suits, combat outfits, the occasional flash of abs and of course the cheesy choreographed dance moves. LOVE!

While all of the guys are well into their 30s and 40s, it didn't stifle their energy or stop them from putting on an amazing show and playing up to their female fans in the crowd. (All of whom had no doubt reverted to their teenage selves!).

When the Backstreet Boys reminded me they'd been doing this for 19 years (which was evident when one of them made a reference to 90s RnB group Jodeci!!) I have to admit I felt a twinge of shock (when did I get so old?!), but it didn't matter. I had Nick Carter and I had Joey McIntyre there to entertain me.

I did notice that the dance moves have become dirtier than I seem to remember! So many pelvic thrusts.

I'd love to be able to list what my highlights were but I've rambled for long enough and I see no point in talking about every song! It was an overall fantastic night -- fireworks, smoke machines, dirty dance moves, fan serenades, ripped shirts, matching outfits, and walks into the audience included.

After thrilling fans for 2 hours, the guys came back with their encore: 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)' and 'Hangin' Tough', and we certainly did not want to go home after that!

I forgot how amazing (and cheesy) the 80s and 90s were. Bless.

Review by Kate Miller, Joey McIntyre's future wife.


NKOTBSB 'Once In A Lifetime Tour' Set List

The One / Single (medley)
NKOTB - Summertime
BSB -- The Call
NKOTB - Dirty Dancer
BSB - Gt Down (You're The One For Me)
NKOTB -- You Got It (The Right Stuff)
BSB -- Larger Than Life
NKOTB - Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)
NKOTB -- If You Go Away
BSB - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely
BSB -- 10,000 Promises
BSB -- I'll Never Break Your Heart (fan serenade)
BSB - Drowning
BSB - Incomplete
NKOTB - Step By Step
NKOTB - Cover Girl
NKOTB - My Favourite Girl
NKOTB -- Games
NKOTB - Tonight
BSB -- Shape Of My Heart
BSB - As Long As You Love Me
BSB - All I Have To Give
BSB - We've Got It Goin' On
BSB - Quit Playing Games With My Heart
NKOTB - I'll Be Loving You (Forever)
BSB - I Want It That Way
NKOTBSB -- Don't Turn Out The Lights
ENCORE -
BSB -- Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
NKOTB -- Hangin' Tough

SOURCE: http://www.take40.com/news/31467/review---new-kids-on-the-block-and-the-backstreet-boys,-melbourne,-may-19-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment